July 19, 2008

i tagged meself

thanks, Amanda.


What kind of book do you love to hate?

Short story collections. I feel like I have to read them all at once.

What was the last book you surprised yourself by liking?

Well, I'm not done with it yet but I am really enjoying The Age of Innocence. Every year my high school sent home Summer Reading lists, and every year I avoided this book. Just as well - I never would have been able to find meaning or relevance in it then. I'm pleasantly surprised by its wit (never judge a book by its cover, I know, but the whole package seemed so stuffy), and surprised by how much I actually care about this soap opera-esque story (basically gaslight-era chick lit.) I love society renegades - Scarlett O'Hara, Elizabeth Swann, Molly Brown - and am looking forward to getting acquainted with the Countess Ellen Olenska.

What was the last book you surprised yourself by disliking?

Haruki Murakami's Kafka on the Shore. It was one big headache.

What book would you take with you if you suspected you might be marooned in the near future?

Marooned where? In an elevator, I'd want Ladder of Years or A Patchwork Planet by Anne Tyler. They're my literary spaghetti and meatballs; they'd keep me from going stir-crazy till the Otis guy arrived. On a desert island I'd want Baby-sitters' Island Adventure, or maybe that Sweet Valley High installment where Jessica and Winston Egbert get stranded on Ancapa Island. On a curbside waiting for a ride, I'd want whatever I'm currently reading, and hopefully it would be nice and thick.

What forces you to read outside your comfort zone?

My kids. They're always trying to get me to read Harry Potter. I can't stand Harry Potter.

2 comments:

crazyfemale said...

Three Words: Harry. Potter. Rules.

damned_cat said...

I somewhat agree - I like the movies a lot.

Site Meter